Taiwan has the highest prevalence and incidence rate of end stage renal disease (ESRD) in the world and it consumes national health insurance more than 20 billion Taiwan dollars every year. Therefore, lower the incidence rate of ESRD is one of the major goals in KMU nephrology division. Regardless of the cost, our division not only put effort into arranging manpower but also collecting material to integrate chronic kidney disease care (CKD) program and set up the first institute of kidney health promotion in Taiwan in 2003. Because of the outstanding results, our institute has been awarded “first degree institute” for 5 years in succession and the patients have very high degree of satisfaction (up to 90%). We also established The Faculty of Renal Care in 2003, with many graduates devoting themselves into CKD care and renal health promotion. In addition to clinical practice and training, the characteristics of our CKD care include performing the related researches vigorously, helping Health Promotion Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfareto set up CKD care guidelines, obtaining epidemiology resources by screening community residents, giving speeches and visits to educate primary medical institute to participate in CKD care and cooperating with health administrative to popularize CKD care to general.
We developed iCKD Healthcare Technology Platform to innovate the care of Chronic Kidney Disease in 2012. This project is supported by Innovative Technology Application Service Program in Ministry of Economic Affair, aims to encourage CKD patients to maintain health behavior through mobile education. We established mobile application and website to improve the interaction between patients and clinical staffs. Being the benchmark of CKD care and research in Asia is the goal to achieve and we will work hard on it.
Services and Advantages:
Accreditation in Hospital Category from Symbol of National Quality(2016)
Paradigm Shift of CKD Integrated Care
1. Establishment of Chronic Kidney Disease Care and Education System in Taiwan.
2. Participate in the government to develop policies, including the Project of Integrated Care for Pre-ESRD patients (CKD stage 3b, 4, 5) and screening for high risk patients with reimbursement from National Health Insurance－2007-present (BNHI), and the Project of Care for Early CKD patients (CKD 1, 2, 3A), extension to general medicine discipline – 2011- present (BNHI).
3. Establish the eGFR reporting system and CKD health management handbook for medical institutions.
4. Provide Cardiac-Kidney-Diabetes-Neuro (CKDN) program and iCKD healthcare technology program designed for personalized kidney health promotion program.
5. Promote the choice of renal replacement therapy project according to shared decision making (Kidney transplant, Hemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis, Hospice and palliative care).
6. Integrate advance care planning (ACP) discussion into nephrology care.
Bronze Medal Award (2016) in Taiwan 17 th Smart Health Care (HQIC)
iCKD Healthcare Technology Platform: Innovative care for Chronic Kidney Disease
Improve prevention, control and care of chronic kidney disease through digital learning and information services. The new iCKD Healthcare Technology Platform aims to increase service quality with the two major features as follow:
1. iCKD health management app: Promote the self-management health for patients through 10 major features, including physiological signal measurement at home, health education for disease, nutrition analysis, medication reminder, alarms and warning, etc.
Collaborative management platform: Analyze and monitor patient’s home health management with visual data on the personal dashboard. The healthcare quality indicators automatically support the related healthcare teams to comprehend disease progress and provide feedback in time with online reminders.