Department of pedodontics in Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital was established to providing dentistry services to children in generalsince 1985, in addition to children in general, we also started providing dentistry services to children with special needs since 1986. Till 1995, "Center for special needs dentistry" had been setted up for the special group of persons with disabilities and a sedation anesthesia room was also completely set up to provide special medical and dental care for general anesthesia or sedation anesthesia. Over the past few decades, the "Center for special needs dentistry" has already provide dental treatment to patients in special needs for more than 70,000 people.
Treatment Options of"Center for special needs dentistry" include:
(1) To provide dental services under the behavioral management mode.
(2) If patients can not complete dental treatment with the training in behavioral
management mode or because of systemic diseases and other factors, we also
provide dental treatment under anesthesia with the anesthesiology team.
"Center for special needs dentistry" is holistic care (including dental treatment, oral health care with general health care, patient safety and vulnerable group care), developed and integrated with the medical team and other secondary specialist dentistry department, to rebuild the patient's oral function to meet the special needs of medical and health needs, and the ultimate goal is to enhance their quality of life.
Over the past few decades, oure team had been provided safe and high-quality medical services and received high medical and social evaluations. It will also promote this professional service to international patients and set up Chinese and English language web pages to facilitate overseas patients to seek the medical treatment.
Services and Advantages:
(1) To reduce the stress of special needs patients in dental treatment.
(2) Deletion the causes of danger to special needs patients due to involuntary physical movement (eg, Cerebral palsy, Parkinson's Disease, etc.) and uncooperative behavior and cognition (eg, developmental delay, Mental retardation, Autism, etc.).
(3) To stabilize the patient's vital sign and reduce the incidence of systemic diseases due to stress (eg, Epilepsy, Rare diseases, etc.).