Breast cancer is the most common cancer of female population in Taiwan. The incidence of breast cancer increased markedly in recent decades and changed from 14 per hundred thousand populations in 1991 to 70.7 in 2014. This indicated more than eleven thousand new breast cancer patients in 2014. Under well medical care, the five-year survival rate of breast cancer can be as high as 90%.
Although there are several methods for management of breast cancer, mastectomy still is one of the choice in many patients. Ablation of breast cancer always resulted in deformities of the breast and / or chest wall. The breast is one of the most characteristic symbol of women, it is necessary to reconstruct one otherwise there are physical and psychological problems.
We performed autologous tissue breast reconstruction with pedicled transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap. The reconstruction was performed immediately after radical mastectomy. Two operations can be finished within 7 – 8 hours.
Services and Advantages:
1. The breast reconstruction team of our hospital, under the leadership of Professor Lin Sin-Daw, integrates hospital inter-disciplinary resources to provide the patients with improved and refined transverse rectus abdominis muscle flap surgery, completeness and continuity of medical care, development of care process and related health education, providing patients with breast reconstruction of high quality services.
2. The team completed the reconstruction of the number of 1266 cases is the first and leading Asian medical centers.
3. Reconstructive breast success rate was 100%, and there is no case of complete necrosis of the flap cases.
4. Patient satisfaction rate was as high as 98.1%.
5. 5-year survival rate was higher than those without reconstruction (93.4% vs83.8%).
6. The team won the "National Biotech Medical Quality Award - Featured Medical Team Silver Award" by the National Biotech Medical Industry Promotion Association in 2014 and has accumulated more than 1,266 cases to date.